Christ because...]I. HE IS OUR MEDIATOR A. WHO RECONCILES US TO GOD...
1. There is but one mediator between God and man - 1Ti 2:5
2. God sent Christ to reconcile sinful man back to Him - 2Co 5:18-20
3. This God did by offering Christ as the propitiation (sacrifice) for our sins - 1Jn 4:9-10
4. We now have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins - Ep 1:7
5. Thus Jesus is the only way to God - Jn 14:6;
cf. 14:21-23 -- We need Jesus, for He is the only way a sinner can be reconciled to God B. WHO INTERCEDES FOR US TO GOD...
1. Now at God's right hand, Jesus makes intercession for us - Ro 8:34
2. He serves as our "Advocate" with the Father - 1Jn 2:1
3. By coming to earth, He has become our perfect High Priest - He 2:17-18; 4:14-15
4. He enables us to come boldly to the throne of grace to obtain mercy and help - He 4:16
5. He now "always lives" to intercede on our behalf - He 7:25 -- We need Jesus, for He is the only way a sinner can be saved and can remain in fellowship with
God. - 1Jn 1:6-10
[As we walk with God with Jesus as our Mediator
, we also need Jesus because...]II. HE IS OUR MENTOR A. WHO OFFERS US A BETTER LIFE...
1. A more abundant life - Jn 10:10b
2. Peace that surpasses understanding - Jn 14:27; 16:23; Php 4:6-7
3. Love that passes knowledge - Jn 15:9; Ep 3:19
4. Joy that is inexpressible - Jn 15:11; 1Pe 1:8
5. Hope that sustains in the face of death - Jn 11:25; Re 14:13 -- We need Jesus, for He provides the way to a truly better life B. WHO GUIDES US BY WORD AND DEED...
1. His words provide a solid foundation upon which to build our lives
a. Such as those spoken in His sermon on the mount - Mt 7:24-27
b. Such as those later revealed through His apostles - Jn 16:12-13;
e.g., 2Pe 1:1-11
2. His example provides both direction and inspiration
a. The example of His humility and service - Php 2:3-8;
e.g., Ro 15:1-3
b. The example of His perseverance - He 12:1-3
c. The example of His suffering - 1Pe 2:21-25 -- We need Jesus, for by word and deed He will guide us to life eternalCONCLUSION
1. As we go through this life...
a. We need to be in fellowship with God
b. We need guidance to make the most of this life and prepare for the one to come
2. That is why we need Jesus Christ...
a. As Mediator
He will maintain our relationship with God
b. As Mentor
He will guide us through this life and on to life eternal
There are many other reasons why we need Jesus. But let these two
remind us of why we cannot risk going through life and facing eternity
without Jesus Christ...!